Work-Study: Student Employees

Welcome to Work-Study! Now that you've been hired, please use this page as a resource for student employees.

Complete Cyber Security Training

All student employees must complete the UC Cyber Security Awareness Fundamentals training course. Login to the UC Learning Center to complete the course.

Log Work-Study Hours

Login to the HBS Timekeeping System to submit your work hours by the Payroll Schedule (see the UCSF Biweekly Pay Calendar).

Note: Students must be logged into UCSF Secure Network in order to access HBS Timekeeping System. If you are logging in remotely, please use PULSE VPN Secure network. Ivanti Secure Access on Macs.

The work week starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday. A student cannot work more than eight hours/day or on holidays.

Students are restricted to 40 hours within a given per pay period (20 hours/week). DO NOT EXCEED 8 hour work/day; 20 hour work/week.

Students adding an additional work appointment/job (regardless if it's work-study related), please contact [email protected].

**Due to payroll limitations, a work-study student can only hold up to 2 work-study jobs (positions) at a time.**

  • Exempt employees, such as Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) positions, cannot be held simultaneously with Federal Work study non-exempt position.

Students ending work-study appointment, please contact [email protected] so that you are Separated from Payroll system..

Note: It is your responsibility, as well as your employer's, to keep track of your earnings. If you exceed your work-study award, your employer is responsible for paying 100 percent of your excess earnings!

Helpful Links:

Review Your Account:

Beginning 6/1/2020 - Work-study students will need to access your payroll information via UC Path.  

How to login to UC Path:

Students hired prior to 6/1/2020 can still login to At Your Service Online (AYSO)

Review employment information (PeopleSoft Menu > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation) such as:

  1. Signing up for Direct Deposit (Payroll)
  2. Updating your tax withholdings (Federal and California)
  3. Selecting your W-2 format (paper statement mailed to home address on file or electronic copy)
  4. Viewing a copy of your earnings statement (pay stub)
  5. Updating your mailing address and other information as needed
  6. Accessing detailed benefits information

Still Have Questions?

  • Is there a limit to the work-study funds I can receive?
    Yes. Each student's gross earning limit varies during the 12-month academic year (July through June). Additional funds may be awarded when students are close to earning their full work study award.
  • I can earn more than the yearly maximum work-study award. Can I ask for more funds?
    Most students request work-study in the summer when they are not enrolled. Many times their summer plans change and they don't work as much as they originally anticipated. Our office knows by early November if additional funding is available from unused summer work-study funds. Contact your financial aid advisor to put in a request for additional work-study funds for the academic period.
  • Can I be fired from my work-study position?
    Yes. This is an employment-based financial assistance award. Your work performance will be evaluated. A federal work study employee may be released from University employment due to loss of federal eligibility, lack of suitable work assignments, unsatisfactory performance or misconduct. You may be released from employment at the sole discretion of the University.
  • I only used $3,000 of my $7,000 work-study award. Can I save the remaining $4,000 for a work-study job next year?
    No. All financial aid awards are only available for one academic year. You must re-apply every year for financial aid and work-study. However, if you want to replace your unused work-study award with loan funds, you must contact us.

Note: Under federal law, the University of California may employ only those who provide specified documentation demonstrating that they are legally able to work in the United States. The combination of a picture identification and a social security card is one example of the kind of documentation required. This requirement applies to all employees, including students.