Student Budget Increases

Listed below is information about some allowable add-ons to the student budget used to determine financial aid eligibility. This is not an exclusive list. Therefore, students are encouraged to discuss their specific situations with the Student Financial Aid Office staff before submitting a request. Budget exceptions are considered on a case-by-case basis and subject to approval. Expenses must be under the student's name and incurred during the current school year.

Additional Housing Allowance

Students who pay more for rent and utilities than the standard off-campus housing allowance, may request a budget increase, but must present a compelling reason as to why less costly housing is not an option. Students should speak with an advisor before submitting a request. Please note that if approved, a budget increase for housing costs may be temporary. The amount of an approved additional housing allowance will all be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Child Care

Students may request financial aid to cover reasonable child care ("baby-sitting") costs (up to $1,700/month per child, maximum $3,400/month per family) for children age 12 and younger during periods when the student is enrolled. The agency or childcare provider must complete a Child Care Verification Form. The student must document the childcare costs.

Medical and Dental Expenses

Student Health & Counseling Services provides primary health care, basic hospital, and major medical expense coverage through premiums included with registration fees. Expenses that are not covered by Student Health, including some psychotherapy, can sometimes be added to a Federal Direct (Stafford) Student Loan or other outside loan source. Costs must be reasonable and medically necessary (for example, having dental cavities filled). Financial aid cannot cover cosmetic work, elective expenses, work that is desirable but not medically necessary or treatment that can reasonably be postponed until after graduation (for example, elective orthodontic work).

To request additional funds for medical and dental expenses, an Expense Request Form must be submitted along with a letter from the health care provider, which indicates an estimate or actual cost of care and states that costs are not covered by insurance.

An optional health insurance plan for the student's spouse and children may be purchased though Student Health. This coverage is expensive, so spouses should seek coverage through their employer.

Dental plans for students are available, including the UCSF School of Dentistry's clinic which offers low-cost preventive care. For more information, call the Preventive Dental Care Clinic, (415) 476-1891. Information on other dental plans can be obtained from Student Health.

Student Disability Evaluation

Student Disability Services (SDS) is available to assist students in obtaining services and accommodations required to ensure equal access to all UCSF programs, services, and activities.  Students can contact Student Disability Services to discuss their needs and options.  Students who may need to pay for an evaluation exam should contact their department first, as the school may be able to cover a portion of the exam cost.  Students may request for a budget increase for evaluation costs and other expenses not covered by SDS or their school by completing an Expense Request Form. Complete documentation will be required.  

Computer Purchases

Students may receive loan funds to a maximum of $2,500 during all of their UCSF enrollment. Printers and software are included in this maximum. An Expense Request Form and appropriate documentation must be submitted to request funding for computer purchases.