How do I get more money?

Our office works to calculate a modest, but adequate student budget.

Each year the Student Financial Aid Office reviews the living costs in San Francisco and sets a standard cost of living for the next school year.

Depending on your student budget and your awards, you can request additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loans by completing the Loan Change Form.

There are annual limits on the amount of Direct (Stafford) Loans you can receive in an academic year. Learn more about Direct (Stafford) Loans.

The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is available to graduate students who have not met their full financial aid budget for the year and have met the limits on the Federal Stafford loan and other financial aid resources.

If this is the case, you will be instructed to apply for a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Learn more about the Direct Graduate Plus Loan.

To apply for the Graduate Plus Loan you must complete the Loan Change Form, Direct Graduate PLUS MPN, & Request a PLUS Loan at

There are some allowable add-ons to the student budget used to determine financial aid eligibility. Therefore, students are encouraged to discuss their specific situations with Student Financial Aid staff before submitting a request. Budget exceptions are considered on a case-by-case basis and subject to approval. Learn more about what is allowable when increasing your student budget.