Please go to the following link to file a complaint with the University: http://www.ucop.edu/sas/sfs/docs/complaintdisclosure.pdf
How Do I?
To submit changes to your financial aid or update personal information, please email us at [email protected] or contact us at (415) 476-4181 for more information
Advisors are assigned by curriculum.
Our Resource Advisor, Carole Ann Simpson, specializes in debt management and loan repayment for both current students and graduates.
Change your address on the Student Academic Affairs Student Portal site.
Our office works to calculate a modest, but adequate student budget.
Each year the Student Financial Aid Office reviews the living costs in San Francisco and sets a standard cost of living for the next school year.
- Learn more about the standard student budget.
- Learn more about some exceptions to the standard student budget.
- View budget totals (total estimated cost of attendance) listed by program and year.
Depending on your student budget and your awards, you can request additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loans by completing the Loan Change Form.
There are annual limits on the amount of Direct (Stafford) Loans you can receive in an academic year. Learn more about Direct (Stafford) Loans.
The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is available to graduate students who have not met their full financial aid budget for the year and have met the limits on the Federal Stafford loan and other financial aid resources.
If this is the case, you will be instructed to apply for a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Learn more about the Direct Graduate Plus Loan.
There are some allowable add-ons to the student budget used to determine financial aid eligibility. Therefore, students are encouraged to discuss their specific situations with Student Financial Aid staff before submitting a request. Budget exceptions are considered on a case-by-case basis and subject to approval. Learn more about what is allowable when increasing your student budget.
Work-study is a federal financial aid award given to students upon request, as long as s/he shows financial aid need.
Work-study pays for 75 percent and the employer pays the remaining 25 percent of the student's earnings.
UCSF students are only allowed to use work-study funds at non-profit entities. Students are normally given up to $7,000 in work-study funds during the 12-month academic year (July through June).
You can request a work-study award on the annual FAFSA application.
If you didn't request work-study on the application, but would like funding, you can begin the process for work-study funding by completing and submitting the Federal Work-Study Application to our office.
Once you have been award with work-study, you can start looking for work study positions through your professional school department or professors.
Private agencies and organizations offer a variety of loans, scholarships and grants to UCSF students, often including those who do not qualify for financial aid.
Information on many of these awards can be obtained by visiting the Student Financial Aid Office.
Outside awards often have early deadline dates (e.g. November 1999 - March 2000 for most 2000-2001 awards), so apply early.
Students are also encouraged to investigate loan and scholarship assistance from business clubs, professional groups, medical and nursing societies, sororities and fraternities, parents' credit or company unions, and other organizations in their home town or county. These awards are often sent directly to the Student Financial Aid Office for disbursement to the student. Students must submit proof of current registration when picking up checks. Awards are generally disbursed in equal payments each quarter unless the donor specifies otherwise.
Free internet scholarship searches are available to students by accessing: FinAid.org.
The following scholarship search databases are located in this web site:
- SRN Express
To access, simply click "fastWEB" or "other free scholarship databases" under the "Scholarships" Icon.
FinAid.org provides links to a variety of general fellowship databases for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
This website contains the GrantsWeb, a collection of links to grants-related information and resources. It also serves as a link to grant and fellowship databases from different colleges and federal agencies. Numerous foundations and fellowship programs have their own web pages from which interested students or scholars can download the information or even apply online.
A Grant Seeker's Guide to the Internet plus A Proposal Writing Short Course are also included. Access these pages here or navigate to them by clicking on the "Scholarships" Icon, scrolling down to "Other Types of Aid" and scrolling down to "Grants"