Federal Work-Study Hiring Process for Off-Campus Employers

Work performed off-campus must be in the public interest. Work in the public interest is defined as work performed for the welfare of the nation or community, rather than work performed for a particular interest or group. Work is not “in the public interest” if:

• it primarily benefits the members of an organization that has membership limits, such as a credit union, a fraternal or religious order, or a cooperative;
• it involves any partisan or nonpartisan political activity or is associated with a faction in an election for public or party office;
• it is for an elected official unless the official is responsible for the regular administration of federal, state, or local government;
• it is work as a political aide for any elected official;
• it takes into account a student’s political support or party affiliation in hiring him or her; or
• it involves lobbying on the federal, state, or local level.

The following is a list of the primary forms needed before a UCSF student can begin working with you:

It can take two-four weeks to obtain the appropriate signatures and forms, so please factor this into your expected "start" date for employment.

Once you are set up as an Off-Campus Employer, complete the following steps to hire each student employee.

Please note:  Work Study forms must be approved before the student can begin employment.

  1. Complete the Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Agreement and Job Description forms.
    This will include verifying the student's Work Study funding award either with the student OR the Student Financial Aid Office (SFAO). Submit originals of both forms to SFAO.
  2. The student must complete UCSF employment papers with the SFAO. Although the student is working at an off campus site, his/her paycheck comes from UCSF.  (The agency is billed for its share of their salary & payroll assessments.)  The student must complete UCSF employment forms before they begin working.  Have the student contact SFAO about completing the employment forms.
  3. If the student has already worked for your agency before as a Work Study student, they may already have employment papers on file. In this case, have the student contact SFAO to verify their UCSF employment records are up-to-date.
  4. Once all the paperwork is received, SFAO will confirm the student's employment start date when the paperwork is reviewed. Please allow one-two weeks prior to a student's start date for SFAO processing.
  5. Once the student begins working, biweekly time records are due according to the Time Record deadline schedule. Faxed or scanned copies of time records are acceptable on the deadline. Each month submit the following by the posted deadline:
    Time record
    Certification of Hours Worked Form

Questions? Contact Elliot Yau, our Work-Study Coordinator, or call (415) 476-4181.

Off-Campus Work Study students are paid through UCSF, so the student must complete the necessary employment forms with SFAO. Your organization will be billed for your share of the student's salary and payroll assessments.