Work-Study Employment

Work-Study Employment

Visit our work-study FAQ page for more info.

Finding a Job

If you are a UCSF student interested in employment either on or off-campus, the  Office of Career and Professional Development (OCPD)  has resources and services to assist you in the job search. Meet with a career counselor at OCPD to:

  1. Discuss your plans and brainstorm options
  2. Develop job search strategies
  3. Review your resume and cover letter
  4. Practice interviewing
To make an appointment, please call (415) 476-4986, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Also good to know, many Student Affairs offices will have information on positions available to students in their field.

Like children? Contact the Student Financial Aid Office about becoming a reading tutor for a local elementary school.

Procedures Before you Begin Working

Once you have found a work study position, either on- or off-campus, you will need to complete the required paperwork. Both you and your employer have documents that need to be submitted to the Student Financial Aid Office before you begin working.

Submit your hours using the Time Record according to the Payroll Schedule. See Forms below.

Employers:

Looking for a student to fill a summer-time or holiday job?
Do you need a part-time person during the school year?
If you are a UCSF department or non-profit employer, you may be eligible to hire a work-study student.

UCSF students are unique in that they are in health profession programs (dentistry, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy) or graduate academic programs in the life sciences.

While our students would be great candidates for any type of position, many are looking for employment that relates to their educational program.

What is Work-Study?

It's a federal financial aid award given to students, and currently employers pay 100 percent of the student's benefits and 25 percent of the student's salary because the work-study award covers the remaining 75 percent.

Federal Work-Study Requirements for Employers

How to Post a Work-Study Job

Call UCSF's Office of Career & Professional Development (OCPD) at (415) 476-4986 to find out how to post your work-study position and connect with students.

Quick Guides to the Work-Study Hiring Process:

On-Campus Employers
Off-Campus Employers

There are eligibility requirements employers must meet and work-study forms that must be completed before a student can start working for you. See the Manuals for On- or Off Campus Employers for complete details.

Once you have hired a Federal Work Study student, the Payroll Time Record must be signed and submitted according to the Payroll Schedule. See Forms below.